Banwell Stalactite Cave

The cave was opened by Ochre miners during the 18th century. The cave entrance became blocked after 1756 but was re-opened in 1824 and shortly after that it was opened as a show cave. During the first part of the 20th century the steps leading into the cave collapsed and the cave is now only accessible to cavers.

Length 280m, Vertical Range 75m.

A steeply sloping series of large chambers connected by some particularly unstable boulder ruckles. The lowest chamber contains a deep lake accessed through " a very dangerous unstable boulder choke"


Banwell Stalactite Cave
Old Entrance

Photograph - Alan Gray

Banwell Stalactite Cavern - Photograph - Steve Sharp

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License